Monday, August 13, 2012

So just got back from Cleveland, where my wife and I were visiting her family. Started this painting on the second day of the visit, after having told everyone how excited I was for grad school. Here it is after the first session: 
Yikes! Here I was again, giving myself more problems than I needed- unfamiliar subject matter (a lot of architectural, man-made stuff ), more than a few elements, and all on a smaller-than-advisable canvas. To top it off, I also felt the pressure of having an audience (my in-laws). I really felt like wiping the whole thing down, but decided to punish myself by finishing it. I figured that at least I'd learn my lesson  about tackling too much on a small canvas.
           I stood out in the sun (Cleveland's pretty hot- who knew?) for the next couple of days with this thing. While I didn't finish it, I was able to get enough down so that I'll be able to finish it from memory sometime soon. At any rate, here it was after the last session:

And a closer look:


                                  Not there yet, but I'm glad I stuck it out and was thankful to able to leave with my
                                 dignity intact.

No comments:

Post a Comment